If Death Occurs At Home
If the death is unexpected you may have rung 999. When an unexpected death occurs the police will need to be informed.
If the death was expected as the patient was terminally ill and at the end of life.
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. Arrange to collect the doctor's Medical Certificate of Death (usually from the surgery).
4. For details as to how to register a death in Somerset follow this link.
You may also find these documents helpful.
How To Register a Death.pdf
Tell Us Once.pdf
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 - 5 as above
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.
For Support in Times of Bereavement